Pages - Menu

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TIP--Handmade Tools

I posted before about the cost of tools for jewelry making , so I made some of my own. Like I said in my last post, I still  like to find household objects that will work for me. I had in my mind that I wanted something very sturdy and solid to make earring hoops and large soldered rings. I searched around and came up with nothing, well not really....there was always the broom stick.  But I couldn't find a variety of sizes.  So off to Home Depot I went.  I purchased four larger dowel rods in the following sizes: 7/8 inch, 1 inch, 1.25 inches, 1.5 inches, all in hard oak.  Cost about $12!! I came home and sawed off a 9 inch piece...drilled a large hole to accomodate up to 10 gauge wire for use with wire wrapping for rings. Here's what the dowels look like:



So far they are working out great, I just put them in my bench vice and start wrapping and hammering! Here's a sneak peak at what I made, to be listed in my Etsy Shop soon!






Not bad for not using conventional tools~hope you enjoyed this post and it will be useful to you or someone you know! Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails