Pages - Menu

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Food Junkie - From Freezer to Crockpot

I'm a food junkie...I love to cook & I love to eat!  I always try to make healthy meals and follow the motto: "if your great-grandmother wouldn't have eaten it, neither should you."  I don't buy processed foods - no frozen TV dinners here, no "light, low-fat, fat-free" (ok..with the exception of milk & cottage cheese) foods in this household.  We eat "real" food - fresh veggies, full-fat cheeses, meat, eggs, real sweet cream butter, whole grain breads, etc...you get the point!  And Y.E.S.- I read the labels on everything. They say the healthiest foods are found in the outside perimeter of the grocery store.

I wanted my lazy Sundays to be even lazier and still get a home cooked meal on the table. What could be easier than crock pot meals?  I scoured the internet for crock pot recipes that could be assembled and then frozen.  All I would need to do was remove from the freezer, dump it into the crock pot and walk away.  Easy peasy, right?

I made seven crock pot meals, total cost for all the food was around $112 dollars.  I'm pretty sure the cashier thought I was nuts for purchasing twenty-five (yes-25) chicken breasts.  That's about $16 per meal, since there is only two of us, we'll probably get three meals out of each crock pot - just a little over $5 per meal...love it!  It took me about three hours to make them all, but totally worth the time.

Here are the recipes for the meals that I made (with simplified instructions) - check out those fresh veggies! These recipes are not my own, so I'd like to give credit (thank you to those bloggers) where I got them from -- click on the title of the meal, it take you to the original recipe.

Fresh veggies - delicious!
2 pepper, cut into strips
1 onion, sliced
3 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/2 cup chicken broth
taco seasoning packet
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
Cook on low 5-6 hours

3 chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 (16 oz) bag frozen broccoli (I used a head of fresh broccoli)
1 large green pepper, chopped (I used a red pepper)
2 (16 oz) jars alfredo sauce
Cook on low for 4-6 hours

3 chicken breasts
juice from 2 limes
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 (16 oz) bag corn
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
Cook on low for 8 hours

4 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup honey 
1/3 cup olive oil 
3 tbs rosemary, chopped
1 tsp salt
Cook on low for 6-8 hours

4 chicken breasts
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 can cream of chicken
1 dry packet of italian seasoning
Cook on low for 4-6 hours

3 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces 
1 cup teriyaki sauce 
1 cup water
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. ginger (or a few slices of fresh ginger)
Cook on low for 4-6 hours

5 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 bottle of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar 
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Cook on low for 4-6 hours

That's all!  There were so many recipes to chose from - I'm excited to try out the recipes for beef and pork that I found.  Having the BBQ chicken for dinner tonight, it smells delicious!  Happy Sunday to you all ~ enjoy your day!

Live. Laugh. Love.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like:

Related Posts with Thumbnails